Self Assembly Required

DIY dressmaking + crafts with Emily

Summer Playsuit Love // Closet Core Patterns Hack

I love a playsuit/ romper/ jumpsuit/ dungaree/ onesie as you all probably know already! Some people hate them but not me! I never seem to have enough!

With the recent heatwave in the U.K., I felt I needed one more style of playsuit in my wardrobe – a short romper! I wanted to create something that essentially looked like a little summer dress but didn’t fly up in the slightest breeze!

I had an idea of what I wanted an decided to use the Amy Jumpsuit from Closet Core Patterns as the base for my make. I’d used it a couple of times before (here and here) with reasonable success. I liked the gentle shaping from the busy dart and the wide leg but struggled with the straps and neckline which always felt too wide on my frame.

I ended up tracing off a new copy of my size (that’s why I’m Team Trace!) to adjust accordingly. I took out 15mm from the waist to shorten the pattern and chopped off the leg to around 12cm below where the inseam starts.

I redrew the necklines on both the front and back bodices to narrow them by about 2.5cm and planned to make very skinny spaghetti straps instead of the inch wide ones with the pattern.

I also created more of a curve at the waist and slight flare at the hip to exaggerate that shape more. I planned to place a centre back seam instead of the side zip (just for personal preference) and cut some facings accordingly.

I used a piece of remnant fuchsia cotton linen that I picked up from Sew Me Sunshine recently. I love buying remnant pieces as I always feel like I’m getting a bargain as they’re usually discounted and that I’m getting something I might not find again! The main downside is that fact you might end up with a weird length of fabric – either too long or short for your project. I often don’t make plans for these pieces until they arrive and I can assess what I can make with them!

I got 1.3m of this linen which was perfect for this make. To be honest, with some clever cutting (and on a non directional print) I could probably get this playsuit out of a metre of fabric – it’s a very economical make!

I kept in the side pockets though I think they’re far too low in this playsuit. It’s annoying but not enough to warrant changing it. It’s something to bear in mind for next time though!

The altered neckline has worked perfectly and the straps don’t slide down me shoulders!

I think this’ll end up being my go-to summer make – it’s sweet and simple, quick to sew and I love the shape of it. It’s also perfect for me to go roller skating in the sunshine without running the risk of flashing someone when I fall over!

About Me

Related Posts

1 Comment

  1. So cute! That color is unexpected and it totally works with the cute/casual shape. The back V is particularly lovely.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.