This is the second Tessuti pattern that I’ve bought but only the first one I’ve made! I got the Oslo coat pattern last year with the best intentions of sewing it up (the pieces are even all cut out!) but I lost my momentum with it and it’s currently in a bag waiting for next winter!
I decided to get started with a much more summery pattern – the Eva dress !
I’ve always admired the Tessuti summer dress patterns. There’s a certain effortlessness about them that make them look chic and wearable. I think it’s something to do with the Aussie sun!
This dress has a dartless bodice with or without sleeves and a lantern style panelled midi skirt. And pockets of course! I decided to use a floral fabric that I got from The Textile Centre at the Knitting and Stitching show this year. I’ve no idea what the composition is but it feels like a light polycotton with a little bit of stretch.
I always worry about the fit of dartless bodices. Generally, I find they’re a bit hit or miss on me as I have a reasonably sized bust! I wondered whether I would need to do an FBA and add some darts myself in order to get a good fit. Luckily I had plenty of fabric for this project so I cut and made up the bodice first just to check it.
To my surprise I actually really liked the fit! It fitted in the shoulder well and was loose enough in the bust to not make me feel like a dart was needed. All in all, it was a good start!
Each side of the skirt is made of four panels and is identical on the front and back. I topstitched all my seams to try to show off this panelling feature.
I shortened the bodice by 1.5cm and shortened the skirt by 5cm to get it to a nice midi length on me and did a small big bicep adjustment but otherwise I left it as is!
I really love how this has turned out!
I’m already planning all the ways of using this bodice to make loose fitted tops and dresses in every style imaginable! They’re just so easy to make and wear!