Every now and then I crave a bit of a sewing “palate cleanser”. Just something sweet and simple that you know is going to work!
For me that was this project – a new little black dress!
I wanted to make a fitted, long sleeved, polo neck dress – you know, that cold weather appropriate but sassy little dress! 😆
I decided to just a tried and tested favourite for the pattern – the Tilly and the Buttons Freya. (This is from Tilly’s book Stretch, not a stand alone pattern. If you don’t already have it, go check it out and you’ll see a familiar face in the book – mine!)
I used the sweater pattern and lengthened it at the hem rather than using that A-line dress pattern that comes with the book. I’d already done some small adjustments to the pattern as I’ve used it so much in the past: I’ve narrowed the shoulders, done a cheat FBA and shortened the sleeves slightly. I’d also removed half the seam allowance so that I could whiz it through my overlocker without having to worry!
For the first time I also chose the add the ruffle hack in the front bodice. In the book they add a pleated ruffle to the front in a curved shaped which is then topstitched into place. I chose to use a gathered ruffle and tried to make it in a V shape.
I used a rib jersey from Stoff & Stil which I had in my stash for this project. I like the weight of this fabric for a dress like this – it’s a little heavier and still keeps all the stretch!
This pattern is such a quick and easy sew. I just know it’ll be one I’ll keep coming back to time and time again!
I’m not a fan of the ruffle unfortunately. It’ll be easy enough to remove since it’s just topstitched into place but I just feel like it was a waste of time! I just don’t like how it sits over my bust and sticks out and I think keeping it simple would’ve been better. I think it’s the first time I’ve not liked a ruffle on a dress! 😂