Sleeves are just getting bigger and bigger at the moment – both in trend and size! Ruffles, bell sleeves, pleats, gathers, anything to embellish a sleeves is all the rage right now.
I do love a good sleeve! (Anything to cover up the ol’ bingo wings works for me! 😂). With the #sleevefest competition going on over on Instagram, there’s been plenty of inspiration for sleeve hacks and I came up with a fabulous one. Well I think it’s fabulous anyway…
The plan was to keep the body exactly as it is and to create lots of volume in the lower half of the sleeve which would then be gathered into the cuff (AKA a bishop sleeve).
After much deliberating I ended up with a sleeve pattern that looked like this.
I kept the shoulder the same and slashed and spread the lower part of the sleeve to get the volume. The lower edge of the sleeve I made into a sort of S shaped curve – the shorter side of the curve was towards the front sleeve, with the extra fabric towards the back. (Tip: check the shoulder notches to determine which side is the front and which side is the back). The idea here was to create a more billowy look with more volume towards the outside of the sleeve.
I made my version out of an off white ponte I got from Stoff & Stil. It’s a light to medium sweater weight – ideal for this project as it has some body without being too heavy.
Sewing up was pretty straightforward. The only difference with this compared to the standard instructions was the gathering of the sleeves prior to adding the cuffs on!
All in all, it was an easy peasy make!
I think I could’ve made the cuffs a little tighter to emphasise the size of the sleeve but I also love pushing my sleeves up to my elbows and I wouldn’t be able to do that if it’s any tighter, so it’s difficult to say what the right decision is here!