Self Assembly Required

DIY dressmaking + crafts with Emily

The Burnside Bibs AKA the dungarees you never knew you needed

(A Minerva Crafts Blogger Network post)

The Burnside Bibs have been in my pattern stash for well over 6 months. I loved the design, loved the samples, loved seeing other people’s versions of it but for some reason I couldn’t find the motivation to print it out!

I am so glad I finally did though!

The Bibs is Sew House Seven’s take on the classic dungaree/ overall featuring wide legged pants in 2 lengths and 2 bib shapes. The dungarees tie together a little differently than the standard, with long straps that thread through belt loops in the back which can either be tied there or you can wrap them around the front.

This tie detail also allows for the two different waist options – one that is a slimmer fit and requires an invisible zip and one that has no zip and just uses the ties to cinch everything together.

I opted for Version 1 with the cropped length, the curved bib and the slimmer waist fit. I figured it’s a little more work but it would be worth it to reduce too much excess fabric around the butt area. That’s not really an area I want to add too much bulk!

I chose a fun printed linen mix fabric for this make – a navy background with pink hibiscus flowers all over. (I’m not actually sure it’s still available on Minerva Crafts though). I was majorly inspired by @joy.margot‘s Mila dungarees which are in a similar flowery print!

The sewing process for this was more straightforward than I’d anticipated. Though I don’t know why I expected otherwise! The instructions are clear and well laid out. The only thing I wasn’t so keen on was that the seam allowance would change throughout, it would be 1cm at one point then 1.5cm at another. It’s marked on the pattern pieces and the instructions but I found I just couldn’t remember which was which and had to keep referring back. That definitely slowed my sewing down which was a little frustrating.

The pattern itself is well drafted and the whole thing came together beautifully, if a little long! I made the cropped length and they came out full length on me! (Short problems, eh? πŸ˜†). It’s an easy fix though!

Apart from that, the only other thing I changed was the position of the back pockets. I thought the pattern markings looked a little low on the pattern so I positioned them 2.5cm higher than the originals. (N. B. I believe the pattern has recently been updated to raise the back pockets so check your version and see if it’s something you need to worry about!).

I love this make so much!

They are really comfy and they fit the wide legged style of the summer so I’m also feeling super trendy! I love the shape of the bib and the slim straps, it’s just so flattering on my body. And those pockets! I’m a sucker for a functional pocket!

I think I’m going to be living in these this summer – I only made these a few days ago and have already worn them twice!

I have a feeling I’m going to making a lot more of these in the near future!

About Me

Related Posts


  1. These are so cute Emily! Of all the dungarees patterns I’ve seen, this pattern and the WWII Homefront- 1940s Overalls, Playsuit, & Trousers are the only ones that appealed to me. I resisted these too though because I’m not convinced AT ALL that I would actually wear them πŸ™‚ I am a big fan of Sew House Seven patterns and I ordered her latest one last week – The Tabor.

  2. I usually don’t like culottes and I’m not a fan of dungarees but I think these look fantastic! Total mind changer πŸ™‚

  3. These look great πŸ‘ I’m all-for a bit of floral! πŸŒΊπŸ’πŸŒΈ.
    And I agree totally – I hate when seam allowances change during a make! πŸ˜…πŸ‘πŸ™πŸ‘

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.