Self Assembly Required

DIY dressmaking + crafts with Emily

A hacked Burda 6829: the most awesome party dress ever

I made this jersey faux wrap dress a week or so ago. I loved the pattern – really simple and quick to make and it fit pretty well with only small adjustments really needed.

I knew I wanted a velvet version of this dress and found the perfect navy stretch velvet for it. I had a vision of a blue velvet faux wrap dress with spaghetti straps – all very Marilyn Monroe-esque – which I knew I could pull off with that fabric. All I needed to do was to make the right adjustments to the pattern!

I used my traced copy of the pattern I had already from my previous make (if you’re trying this at home, I’d recommend you do the same use a traced copy too. You don’t want to start cutting into the pattern itself just in case something goes wrong!) and made my adjustments to this copy.

Firstly I picked a point above the bust as the pinnacle of the front bodice i.e. where the strap will attach. I made this a few inches above the dart and slightly to the side. From there, I drew new underarm and neck lines that’ll blend into the originals. I flipped that first piece and laid it over the other side to make sure the new lines would be symmetrical. 

I aimed to keep the back in the same position/ height of the underarm. This way, I knew that there wouldn’t be a risk of any bra exposure at the back, though you could definitely adjust this how you wanted. I pretty much drew a straight line 90 degrees from the centre back that would hit the underarm. 

(You’ll need to redraw new facings if you’re trying this at home. To do this just trace over the tops of each pattern piece on new paper and measure how long you want them to be. I made mine 8.5cm so they’d turn out to be 7cm once the seam allowance is taken away.)

I made simple straps from 4cm wide strips folded into itself and stitched down. If you want narrower ones, I’d suggest making rouleau loops in a bias satin! That would be so pretty!

When I got round to fitting, I had to take it in a lot at the side seams to create a bit of negative ease otherwise it gaped horribly under the arm. Easily fixed! If you’re bigger busted, a bust dart may also be a necessary addition here.  


What do you think? I’m totally in love with it even if the velvet was crazy frustrating to work with. It was definitely a terrible idea to try to work it directly on the overlocker – it moved like crazy and you can’t keep the pins in when you’re overlocking. 

Note to self: next time, just zigzag it on a machine then overlock afterwards. 

Well that’s my party dress for Christmas/ New Years all sorted!

About Me

Related Posts


  1. That looks amazing, you will be rocking it this Christmas and new year! Thanks for sharing the hack too, great vision to think this through and create a beautiful dress!

  2. Beautiful! Excellent choice on colour too, the lustre that velvet gives the navy looks fab with your complexion!

    1. Thanks! I have to say though, it’s the pattern itself that makes it quick to sew. It’s a really simple one! Probs took me just a couple hours to get this together!

  3. Wow, fabulous. I’ve just made the full dress in red velvet and will be posting it for the little red dress project. It’s a great pattern.

  4. Omg, I bought some turquoise / teal velvet to make a dress for new year’s eve, and this is exactly what I had in mind to make!! Needlesss to say I adore your dress!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.