Burda 6829 – a faux wrap dress

So this pattern was earmarked for my first Minerva Crafts project to be made with a gorgeous dark olive green velvet BUT somewhere between reading the pattern requirements and the fabric description something in my brain went wrong and I’ve ended up with a pattern for stretch fabrics only and a non-stretchy velvet… *facepalm*

I wanted to try the pattern anyway and see if there’s a way to alter it to suit what I wanted since I really had my heart set on a long sleeve wrap dress with that fabric. (Before you say anything, I looked for a pattern in the style I wanted but I couldn’t find anything!). I decided to make a jersey version first to check the fit and see where I’d need to add ease or darts if I were to make it with a woven. 

I used a lovely soft charcoal viscose jersey I had lying around. I think I was supposed to make some t-shirts out of it but that plan has now gone out the window! 

I’d read somewhere that the ease on this dress can be abbot on the small side so if your fabric isn’t that stretchy, to go up a size. I opted to cut a size 14 and then aim to take it in if needed. 

And here it is!

Please excuse the awful VPL!

I sewed most of it on the overlocker so it was a very quick make. I took it in at the waist to really make it a snug fit (and to help it stop gaping open at the neckline). I liked the overall shape of the dress and how it sat on me but I don’t know when I’ll where it! The shape is a little too fancy for daywear and the fabric a bit too casual for evening… 

The simple design is really effective but does rely heavily on the stretch of the fabric. Having done this version I don’t think it’ll be worth persevering with a woven version – I’d be better off drafting from scratch!

I’m off now to make new plans for that green velvet! I’ll have to save this pattern for a different Minerva make in future! 

You may also like

11 comments

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: